Social-Emotional Learning Alliance for California (SEL4CA)
To empower California youth to thrive in school and life by advancing and supporting effective Social and Emotional Learning programs, policies and practices in all state schools and communities.
- California schools and community education facilities serving as centers of safe, caring and supportive activity where young people succeed academically and develop the skills to solve problems, manage emotions, and to form positive and empathetic relationships with others.
- Educators and staff as empathetic, resilient, culturally aware and responsive.
- Creating opportunities for parents, caregivers, support teams (such as therapists and social workers), and the community at large to learn about, support and participate in SEL activities.
Goal 1: Influence and advocate for public policy that embraces the importance of social-emotional learning (SEL) in the development of young people:
- Educate legislators and administrators about the importance of SEL.
- Advocate for public and private funding to support SEL in California.
- Advise officials/policymakers as to effective ways to implement SEL statewide.
- Develop and implement legislative strategy that promotes SEL.
- Expand opportunities for public discourse on the importance of SEL.
Goal 2: Promote and support the implementation of evidence-based and culturally competent SEL programming and practice, doing so by whatever local name this learning might be known:
- Provide opportunities for California’s educators, education administrators, students, community members and other stakeholders to learn about and share SEL research, theory, and best practices.
- Promote the establishment of SEL curriculum and programming for pre-service teachers and administrators at California colleges and universities.
- Promote the establishment of SEL curriculum and training for parents and community-based educators.
- Promote current innovative SEL research initiatives and findings.
- Promote evaluation frameworks and metrics to measure SEL impact and effectiveness.
Goal 3: Establish SEL4CA as a resource for schools, parents, caregivers, students and communities – and as a way to inspire co-promotion of culturally responsive SEL by these and other grassroots stakeholders:
- Continually expand the SEL4CA website as a go-to SEL community resource.
- Build a diverse, comprehensive coalition of SEL supporters that involves all relevant sectors and key stakeholders of the community.
- Develop an active and effective Speakers Bureau.
- Establish a network of contacts with diverse organizations representing parents, caregivers. students, teachers, school counselors and administrators; and with business and worker associations and relevant nonprofits and government institutions. Include in the network community leaders, employers, practitioners, public officials, advocates, SEL-engaged individuals and other like-minded persons.
- Establish subcommittees of enthusiasts from various sectors such as professionals, unions, tech industry personnel, entertainment industry personnel and the like to promote SEL awareness and support among their colleagues.
- Solicit opinions from the broader “community” about issues and options.
- Encourage school districts and communities to engage in “needs assessments” relative to SEL, using established models of community participation and engagement.
Goal 4: Ensure sustainability and capacity-building for SEL4CA through a structural framework that advances the mission and vision.
- Build the organizational and governance structures.
- Establish an evolving strategic planning document.
- Determine resources necessary to carry out the strategic plan and sustain the organizational structure.
- Create budget and development strategy, where appropriate.
- Grow, organize and engage a volunteer membership that is ready-to-work and enthusiastic about the importance of SEL4CA.